KEYS FOR BREAKTHROUGH OVER ADVERSITY
by Bruce Edwards
In simple terms adversity can be defined as any unfortunate event that creates distress, suffering or hardship. A flat tire, losing your keys, a broken water pipe, or something as devastating as an unexpected lose of a loved one or being diagnosed with a serious illness.
The dictionary defines Adversity as the obstacles, barriers, mountains, upsets, challenges, setbacks, afflictions, bad luck, calamities, disaster, misery, catastrophes, distress, hardship, ill-fortune, misfortune, woe, mishaps, sorrow, suffering, trials and troubles that we face in our lives.
The fact is every person faces adversity in life. We live in turbulent times. The worlds economy is unstable with nations facing insolvency, large companies on the brink of bankruptcy, an unstable housing market, employees are being laid off, there is abuse and unrest in many places. Every problem in life can be described as adversity however it’s how we look at these obstacles that makes the difference.
When we’re faced with adversity, there are two questions we should always ask ourselves:
1. Will I allow this adversity to make me bitter? or
2. Will I use this adversity to make me better?
In 2Corinthians 4:8-9 the apostle Paul gives us insight to the adversity in his life. He said, “We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed.” Paul was facing extreme adversity everyday, but he did not allow the adversity to keep him down or to become bitter. Instead he uses the adversity to make him better.
When facing adversity it is only an opportunity for us to get better and move closer to fulfilling God’s purpose and destiny for our life. Here are seven ways to over come adversity and get your breakthrough:
1. Stay focused on God. God is always bigger than the problem. He is, a present help in time of trouble.
2. Strengthen yourself spiritually. Before adversity hits prepare yourself. Develop your inward strength, courage, and stability by studying God’s Word.
3. Strengthen your relationships. Build a support system with other Christian family and friends. When confronted with adversity you need encouragement and support..
4. Know Things Will Turn Around. Always remember that no matter how good or how bad things are, they are going to get better. God is working on our behalf to help work everything together for good. (Romans 8:28)
5. Do Not Give Up. The only way adversity can defeat you is if you quit. Don’t grow weary in doing what is right because in due season you will reap a harvest. Your will get a breakthrough! (Galatians 6:9)
6. Be persistent. When you are tired and you feel like giving up and you cannot go another step, determine to press on. It takes perseverance to overcome and get breakthrough.
7. Life is not a destination, it is a journey. Adversity is part of the process. Look for the blessing in your journey even in the midst of the storm.
You can turn the situation around with God’s help. There is “BREAKTHROUGH OVER ADVERSITY FOR YOU!