Did you know that God wants to give you preferential treatment and to bless you with special privileges? He does, it is called – FAVOR! You can have the God’s favor in your life every day. He wants to surround you with His divine favor.
Psalms 5:12 says, “For You, O Lord, will bless the righteous; with favor. You will surround him as with a shield.” Notice, it’s the Lord who is doing the blessing and He is blessing the righteous. The righteous are every person who has been born again – saved – those who are followers of Christ. 2Corinthians 5:21 says, “For He [God] made Him [Jesus, His Son] who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him [Christ Jesus].”
So the Lord is blessing you and me, the righteous and He is blessing us with His – Favor. In fact He is surrounding us with His divine favor. God’s favor is a huge key to living a life of victory every day!
What is Favor?
Favor is defined as receiving preferential treatment and special privileges. God is putting upon you His special affection and influence so that others will be inclined to like what you do and to cooperate with you – that is divine favor. God’s favor in your life is His power working in you so you can live a victorious life. It is the power needed to breakthrough and overcome any barrier in life.
Gods Favor is a Gift
God’s favor is a gift. We don’t deserve it. We can’t earn it. God gives it to us because we are His children and He is our Father. However, we must receive it and activate it in our lives. Sadly many believers miss out on the favor of God because they don’t know how to receive it or they resist it.
5 Keys to Receiving Favor
There are 5 major keys to receiving and activating God’s favor in your life-
1. Believe to receive God’s favor. Believing is at the heart of receiving the promises of God. God has promised you favor. To receive His gift of favor upon your life you must believe it. James 4:6-7 tells us, “you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord.“ If you don’t believe or doubt or question God wants to give you favor James says don’t expect to receive it. Believe and expect God’s favor upon your life.
2. Grow in the knowledge of the Lord. The Source of favor is the Lord. When you increase your relationship with Him you increase your access to Him and all He has including favor. Peter puts it this way: You grow in favor through the knowledge of Jesus Christ. (2Peter 3:18) God is trying to get His favor to you. However, it can only come through the connection that you have with Him. You open that connection by continuing to develop your relationship with Him through worship, prayer, the Word of God, and spending time with Him. Proverbs 8:35 says, “For whoever finds me finds life, and obtains favor from the Lord.” When pursue Him and invest your time in knowing Him you will get a huge return of His favor upon your life.
3. Sow favor. In other words – show favor toward others. Psalm 112:5 says, “A good man sows favor, and lends: he will guide his affairs with discretion.” You will reap what you sow. (Galatians 6:7). Jesus said, “Blessed are the merciful for they shall obtain mercy.” So be merciful to other people. Sow favor into the life of those that don’t deserve it and you will receive favor that you do not deserve. Look for those that cannot necessarily repay you and show them favor and you will activate the favor of God over your life. If you want to activate the favor of God in your life, start giving favor to others.
4. Declare favor. You will have what you say. (Mark 11:23). There is power in your words. The words you speak influence the direction of your life. (James 3:3-6) So start declaring Gods favor. Say. “Thank You, Jesus, that I have favor with You and with man. You surround me with favor. Every place I go, You go before me with favor. Thank You, Lord for favor!” If you want to see favor activated in your life, then begin to declare God’s favor. Speak favor over your life on a daily basis and you will receive favor.
5. Stay Humble. James 4:6 says, ““God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.” The word grace means – “God’s unmerited favor”. God pours out His favor upon those who keep a humble heart. One of the dangers we have to guard against is – pride. Pride will shut down the flow of God’s favor. Always remember God’s favor is not a result of anything you’ve done, but base on what Jesus has done. We activate God’s favor in our life by believing in Jesus and staying connected to Him, the source of favor. When we keep our focus on Jesus and remain humble God give us more FAVOR.
Get ready for the favor of God upon your life – believe for it, sow it, declare it, and stay focused on Jesus. He wants to open up the windows of heaven and pour His favor upon your life.
“For his anger lasts only a moment, but his favor lasts a lifetime; .” Psalm 30:5