They Followed the Star of Bethlehem
“Jesus was born in Bethlehem in Judea, during the reign of King Herod. About that time some wise men from eastern lands arrived in Jerusalem, asking, 2“Where is the newborn king of the Jews? We saw his star as it rose, and we have come to worship him.”3King Herod was deeply disturbed when he heard this, as was everyone in Jerusalem. 4He called a meeting of the leading priests and teachers of religious law and asked, “Where is the Messiah supposed to be born?”5“In Bethlehem in Judea,” they said, “for this is what the prophet wrote: 6‘And you, O Bethlehem in the land of Judah, are not least among the ruling cities of Judah,for a ruler will come from you who will be the shepherd for my people Israel.’”
7Then Herod called for a private meeting with the wise men, and he learned from them the time when the star first appeared. 8Then he told them, “Go to Bethlehem and search carefully for the child. And when you find him, come back and tell me so that I can go and worship him, too!” 9After this interview the wise men went their way. And the star they had seen in the east guided them to Bethlehem. It went ahead of them and stopped over the place where the child was. 10When they saw the star, they were filled with joy! 11 They entered the house and saw the child with his mother, Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped him. Then they opened their treasure chests and gave him gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh.”
5 Interesting Facts
There are 5 interesting facts about the story of the wise men I want you to take note of;
- There were “some” wise men. Tradition speaks of there being “3 Wise Men”. There may have been 3, but it could of been just two or it might have been 7 or more.
- The wise men were seeking the “King of the Jews”. These were men of great learning. They were seeking Jesus – the Savior of the world. They knew of the prophecies of His coming like the one quoted in verse 6 which was Micah 2:4&5. Wise men still seek Him.
- The wise men were seeking Jesus to “worship Him” and bring Him gifts. We come to worship Jesus too! “Let everything that has breath praise the Lord: Psalm 150:6 “
- The wise men came from the east, probably from the area of present day Iraq and did not arrive until 18-24 months after the birth of Jesus. They were not there the night Jesus was born. They had to travel hundreds of miles and overcome many challenges and obstacles to get to Jesus. Sometime we have to overcome challenges and obstacle to get to Jesus, but it is worth the pursuit.
- The wise men followed the “star of Bethlehem”. I have a question for you “WHAT STAR ARE YOU FOLLOWING?”
What Star Are You Following
Today many follow all kinds of “stars” – movie stars, tv stars, rock stars, country stars, sports stars, even church stars. We follow them on facebook, twitter, and instagram. Many of them become faithful, committed and fervent followers of these “stars”. Others follow other kinds of stars – riches, fame, and power. The problem with everyone of these stars are they lead no where or even worse they can lead to trouble and disappointment.
Bright and Morning Star – Jesus
Why not choose to follow the “Star of Jesus”? He is – THE STAR! Revelation 22:16 identifies Him as the – “Bright and Morning Star” And here is the thing, when you follow His star you will not be disappointed. You will find hope, peace, joy, forgiveness, purpose, destiny, and everlasting life!
The best news is anybody who wants to – can follow the bright and morning star! God so loves everyone that whosoever will call upon His name and follow Him will receive life! (John 3:16) When you choose to seek Him and worship Him – He forgives your sins, He makes you new, He restores, and heals your life. Following the star of Jesus is not just about reaching a destiny, but it’s about following Him every day of your life. When you do He gives wisdom, provision, help, deliverance and protection every day of your life!
What star are you following? Wise men still seek Him and follow the bright and morning star – Jesus! Choose to follow the bright and morning star – Jesus every day!